Saturday, April 29, 2017

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Shawl


Here is the story of The Sisterhood of the Traveling Shawl.  This lovely shawl was handknit by Lou Hearnesburger, a member of the  Schafer Meadows Fiber Arts Guild of Elma, Washington, USA. When I saw it, I immediately fell in love with all the beautiful colors and knew I needed to buy the shawl and make it may own.  After wearing the shawl and receiving countless compliments from other's, I realized that this special shawl of "many colors" should not lay folded and tucked away in a drawer or closet where "moth or dust" might corrupt.  No, it was meant to be worn!  It needed to be shared!  Thus began"the Sisterhood of the Traveling Shawl."

Each one who receives this shawl, whether it comes to her in the mail or it is handed to her in person, has been chosen out of love to receive it.   My hope is that when she wears it, the wearer will feel a sense of being loved, wrapped in the love of the "sisterhood" of each one who has worn it before her; then, after a time, think of someone she would like to share the shawl with and pass it on.

Each recipient of the shawl, is being asked to please leave a comment to this post, letting us all know where the shawl has landed.  How fun it will be to follow together the travels of this beautiful shawl!

4 comments:

  1. The shawl started in Aberdeen, WA. In December 2016, the shawl was first passed to Marisusan of Seattle, WA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In March, the shawl made it's way to Amber in Aberdeen, WA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My loving sister hand-delivered this beautiful shawl to me in Palm Desert, CA in April. It is now on its way to a special friend. Hope she will enjoy it as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My special friend Taeko in Seattle, WA received this beautiful shawl in July. She enjoyed it for several months and now it is on its way to a new destination. I am posting this on her behalf.

    ReplyDelete