Interestingly, as my plants began to blossom, I discovered that I had three distinctively different blossoms, the third having red lacings through the yellow petals.
After straining out the blossoms, I poured the dye water into separate pots and entered my sample cards and two, 2-ounce skeins of pre-mordanted (alum) wool yarn into each pot. I brought the pots to just a simmer then turned off the heat and let them soak overnight. After pulling the skeins out of the pots, I dissolved 1 tsp. of soda ash in each pot and put one of the dyed skeins back into each pot. The soda ash increased the alkalinity of the dyebath which resulted in the beautiful orange colors.
|Results from red coreopsis blossoms|
To exhaust the color in the dyebath, I decided to combine both dyebaths and add another sample card and a skein of wool yarn with no mordant, which resulted in pale peach-y colors:
In a closer comparison of yarns from each dyebath, the brown from the yellow blossoms is very cinnamon-y in color, and the orange very bright, while the brown and orange from the red blossoms are more muted.
|Red on left, yellow on right:|
Red on left, yellow on right, combined dye bath (2nd exhaust) on bottom: